Wednesday, June 4, 2008

White HAGI Yunomi, Seigan Yamane


After using my tea ware for over one year I thought it was time to add some new pieces to my collection. I buy them on eBay. Last week I won the above White HAGI yunomi (=tea cup, not used for tea ceremony) made by the Japanese ceramist Seigan Yamane ( 山根清玩). It's perfect for mizudashicha.

It’s a piece of Hagi ware (萩焼); soft clay, which easily absorbs water. Because of this Hagi ware ages as time progresses. This process is called ‘Hagi no nana bake’ (7 changes of hagi).

Over the years Seigan Yamane developed his own special glazes, like his trademark Seigan Blue glaze. This yunomi has a white glaze, with a blue hint. ‘Like beautiful snow’, according to the seller. You can see more photo's here, here, here and here. I'm not sure what the market value is of this piece - probably the starting bid 19.95 USD - I paid 26 USD (17 EUR).

No comments: