Thursday, August 18, 2011

Freshly shelled peas

If I had my own garden I would certainly grow my own peas. It's August and they are in season, and so are button (pearl) onions.

Shell 500 gram peas.



Cut dry cured ham in small pieces. Best would be Parmaham. I opted for a less expensive Dutch smoked bacon. Quite different in taste, very smokey, but it's a good combination as well.



Peal button onions.



Fry the button onions in two tablespoons of olive oil until slightly brown. Then add two tablespoons of water and simmer the onions with the lid closed for 5 minutes until just tender.



Add another two tablespoons of olive oil, garlic (sliced) and the ham or bacon. Fry for a couple of minutes.



Add the fresh peas, salt and plenty of black pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.



Chop a bunch of fresh parsley.



Stir in the parsley two minutes before the end of cooking.



Serve with bread.




No comments: