I haven't cooked much in the previous months but during the Sikh Vaisakhi festival in Amsterdam I stumbled upon a great tasting desert. It turns out to be garjarela and it's really easy to make. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon.
10 large carrots, peeled and grated
7 tbsp butter
green cardamom, crushed
a small piece of cinnamon sticks
75 ml milk
115 g granulated sugar
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add in the grated carrots and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain into a colander.
2. Melt the butter in a pan with the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon on a very low heat.
3. Add the milk and stir well.
4. When you can smell the cardamom, add the sugar.
5. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and then add in the drained carrots.
6. Cook gently, stirring, until the liquid has cooked off, around 5 minutes.
7. Cover and cook on a very low heat for 15 minutes.